Nootropics are brain boosting supplements or drugs that enhance focus, memory and overall brain function. There are two routes that students can take to get the benefits of these brain boosters – natural and synthetic.
1. Natural Brain-Boosting Supplements
Most students use natural, stimulating brain boosting supplements even though they are unaware that they are doing so. Caffeine and sugar are the most common brain boosters and provide an increased focus for a short period of time. So simply drinking a cup of coffee or tea while studying can enhance brain function.
Other natural supplements include the following ingredients that have brain-boosting properties:
- Huperzine A, extracted from the Chinese club moss plant, has proven results in improving memory in Alzheimer and senile dementia patients and is therefore included in many brain boosting supplements to enhance memory retention.
- Bacopa Monnieri, extracted from the Brahmi plant, has also shown effective results in the treatment of Alzheimer’s patients and has the added benefit of reducing stress and anxiety.
- Ginkgo Biloba has many health benefits including reducing anxiety and improving cognitive function.
- L-theanine is believed to have the same stimulating effects as caffeine without the side effects. Studies have shown increased attention span and cognitive function in subjects who were given the supplement.
There are many other natural ingredients that may also have brain-boosting properties such as Lion’s Mane, Artichoke Extract, Vitamin B’s, etc. that may be included in natural supplements. However, it is extremely important to pay attention to the concentration of the ingredients in a supplement. Small dosages may not deliver effective results.
2. Synthetic Smart Drugs
There are a variety of synthetic smart drugs that are unfortunately only available through a prescription from a medical practitioner or doctor. It is not recommended to take these drugs without consulting a doctor as they do have side effects that can have short and long-term health consequences, especially when taken in the incorrect dosages.
- ADHD medications such as Ritalin and Adderal improve focus and concentration and are therefore commonly misused by students while studying.
- Piracetam is generally prescribed to prevent cognitive decline for Alzheimer’s and other similar conditions. There is some evidence to suggest that this racetam class of drugs may also improve cognitive function.
- Modafinil provides stimulating effects much like caffeine but over a longer period of time and improves focus and concentration. The drug is generally prescribed for shift workers who struggle to stay awake at night.
- Anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications are widely used by students to assist them during stressful periods such as exam time.
While it is possible to find a doctor who prescribes one of these drugs purely to enhance cognitive function, they will only do so for short periods of time and in safe dosages. This is because research into the use of medications as smart drugs is still underway and controversial.
It is important to note that nootropics do not make you more intelligent but simply enhance or improve memory, concentration, focus and other cognitive functions.
Are you lacking focus for work, school or in general, and wouldn’t it be nice to be able to take something to improve it because there may very well be. We’re talking about nootropics. Below is info about what they are, the best ones for focus, tips for choosing one and other useful information. By the end of this article, you will know how to improve focus with nootropics.
What Are Nootropics
Nootropics are often referred to as brain supplements or smart pills because they are formulated to improve overall cognitive abilities. The supplements may improve memory, boost creativity, improves one’s motivation and help them become more focused. Do bear in mind that there are many brands that produce and/or market nootropics, but most nootropics are formulated to do the previously mentioned things.
As for how they actually work, the ingredients are absorbed by your body once you consume the supplements. It might take a few days, weeks or even months before you feel any different. Results do vary from one person to another, which means results from using nootropics are not usually typical.
The Best Ones for Focus
Some of the best nootropics include Modafinil and CDP Choline. Other notable ones include L-theanine and Adrafinil. However, there are many other great ones out there, but those are some of the tops. If you want to improve focus with nootropics, then it’s important to choose a good supplement, and you can’t go wrong with those ones.
Choosing A Quality Nootropic
Not all brain supplements are created equal, therefore it is important to research as many brain supplements as you can. Thanks to the internet, this is very easy and fast to do. As a rule of thumb, you want to find at least 3-5 nootropics to research and compare.
Read reviews on each brain supplement you are researching. Don’t worry if a particular brain supplement has a negative review or two because even the best supplements are bound to have a few unflattering reviews written about them. If a brain supplement has far more positive than negative reviews and testimonials, then this is fine.
Pay attention to what ingredients are used in the supplement you’re thinking of getting. The best brain supplements should only contain high-quality ingredients that are safe and preferably natural. It’s a wise idea to research the ingredients in the supplements because you don’t want to take anything that will potentially put your health at risk.
Finally, know where to buy nootropics. There are many places to purchase them, such as at some retail stores, health shops and on the internet. Buying online tends to be the best option because you can quickly find and compare nootropics.
Take As Instructed
Regardless of the nootropic, you choose to use, make sure you take it as instructed. This is how you will improve your focus with the nootropic of your choice. If you don’t take it as instructed, then you’ll likely not get any results and you may possibly experience unwanted side effects.
You don’t want to take less than the recommended dosage, nor do you want to exceed the recommended dosage. While you’re at it, read the label of the brain supplement you’re considering using. Look for warnings and potential side effects because the more you know about the supplement, the better off you’ll be.
That is how to improve focus with nootropics and how to choose a quality supplement. If you want to improve your ability to focus, then consider using a brain supplement. Compare a few brain supplements and then choose the one you believe will work the best.